Monday, May 13, 2013

Her


Her

 

By: Christa Parravani





Rating 5 out 5 stars!




I am an identical twin. When I first heard about this book, I HAD to read it. Of course, my library only had one copy and I sat on the waiting list for about 2 months before this book became available. I knew it was going to be a sad/ hard book to read because I knew I could relate to the book even though my twin and I are still alive and neither one of us suffer from drug use. There were moments that did make me tear up because I could never, NEVER think about not having my twin around. I cannot even go 1 day without hearing from her without freaking out.

Her is a memoir written about a pair of identical twins Cara and Christa. They were closer than close. They slept in the same bed back to back all through childhood; they invaded each other's marriages, kind of in a jealous possessiveness. Christa tells the story of her sister's death and her own resulting breakdown.

Cara, the author's twin was a very confident young woman. She expected good things to happen to her, for example, she entered the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, and even made sure to tie balloons on her mailbox so Ed McMahon would be able to find her house when she won. Things changed in her early 20's when she was raped in a hideous way while walking her dog in the park. She lost her self completely and turned to drug abuse and other risky behaviors to help cope with her pain. Five years later Cara dies from an accidental overdose and Christa's world ends.

When Christa lost Cara she lost a piece of herself. She did not know how she could possibly live without her, being alone, being twin less. Christa starts on a self-destruction path of starving herself down t0 85lbs. Becoming addicted to pills, and even tried to overdose a couple times just like Cara. Christa felt if she would follow in Cara's footsteps it would either bring Cara back or bring her to Cara. Christa writes about all of our worst fears, except they really happened to her.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment