Monday, January 13, 2014

So Say the Waiters

So Say the Waiters book 1 (episodes 1-5)So Say the Waiters book 1 by Justin Sirois
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Henry was a different kind of character than I usually read. He wasn't kick-butt or even mentally resilient. He was a computer programmer dealing with the emotional (and financial) aftermath of a bad breakup. I didn't really enjoy him, but I found him interesting, at least.

Dani was the exact opposite of Henry - a tattooed twenty-something bartender living on tips and playing keyboard in a little local band. She was exactly the kind of character I would expect to find in this book, only I would have expected her to be a kidnapper.

This book did not read like a traditional novel. There was no easily-identified climax or major disasters, and the ending felt more like the end of a chapter than the end of a novel. (It might have been more structured within the individual "episodes" - I wasn't paying attention to where one stopped and the next began.) But I enjoyed the story, figuring out the details of kidnApp, and trying to understand how Henry and Dani's plots fit together. Justin Sirois was brilliant at bringing together random plot lines into a great story.

The very, very best part about SO SAY THE WAITERS was the idea. An app for people who want to be kidnapped for fun - awesome! "Waiters" who want to be kidnapped can specify how long they want to be taken, how rough their "Taker" can be, even little stuff like if they want a bag over their head or just a blindfold. I want to be kidnapped. And then I want to kidnap people. I don't even know if this would be legal, but it would be fun!

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment